This poll was started a while back and I think we are at the point where I have gotten as many responses as I am going to get regularly. I was trying to find trends in martial artists and street fighting. There is a pretty famous quote about how 90% of all fights will end up on the ground. If you have done your homework, you know this was a misquoting of an LAPD study that found that 60% of altercations between police officers and suspects end up on the ground (Remember that number for later). I know a lot of my karate buddies don’t do any kind of grappling, so I was curious if we should even be concerned about grappling. Here is what I found:
One of the things I tried to find was correlations, patterns that would suggest a relationship between one thing and the other. Here is a quick breakdown of the things that correlated:
- How Often Your School Teaches Grappling and If You Grappled in a Fight: 22% (Those who study grappling are more likely to grapple).
- # of Years in Martial Arts and If You Grappled in a Fight: -14% (Those who study longer are slightly less likely to grapple).
- If You do Karate and If You Grappled in a Fight: -3% (Those who do karate are marginally less likely to grapple).
When I was looking at the numbers I found a few facts about fights (according to our poll of 40+ martial artists):
- 74% of people considered their school less focused on grappling.
- 62% of people who got into a fight said they grappled during the fight.
This is in no way conclusive of anything, but it should make you think. Most people say they ended up grappling during their fight. Shockingly, 62% of martial artists said they end up grappling – almost exactly the same number as the police study. At the same time, most people said their schools don’t focus on grappling. What this means to me, is that the odds suggest you will end up grappling should you ever get in a fist fight. Are you ready? 74% of the people who responded are hopefully asking themselves that right now.
I am going to keep polling everyone on various things in the martial arts community. Please know, I don’t make money off of these polls or sell your info in any way. I do research to help offer interesting thoughts to the world about martial arts training. The next poll can be found here. Please take a few minutes and fill it out and pass it on to your martial arts friends, the results help all of us make our training more effective.
If you were wondering about my first poll that I rarely talk about, more to come on that soon.